Looking for accommodation in Constantia? You have come to the right place. Famous for its lush valley, wine estates and sense of peace, this suburb is a haven for honeymooners and holidaymakers. Lying just half an hour from the City Centre, Constantia accommodation is still close enough to be in easy reach, without being right in the middle of the city. If you are seeking somewhere quiet, interesting and full of things to see and do, Constantia is a perfect choice.
This suburb has a fascinating history that dates back to the very early days of Cape Town’s origins. In 1685, Simon vander Stel, first Governor of Cape Town, cultivated the wine estate located in the Constantia Valley. This fertile, rich soil is home to the oldest wine estate in South Africa. Located at the foot of the Constantiaberg mountain and offering sweeping views of the False Bay coastline, it is no mystery as to why the governor found this spot a particular favorite. The original farm has since been divided into smaller farm plots, each still diligently producing award-winning wines for your tasting pleasure.
The Groot Constantia estate is well worth a visit. On the estate you’ll find restaurants, a curio shop, and areas for relaxing picnics and leisurely walks through the beautiful lawns. The Buitenverwachting Estate, once also part of the original Constantia Estate, produces many of the top award-winning wines in South Africa. This vineyard is located along the eastern slopes of Constantiaberg mountain. Although it has seen many changes in the past 20 years, its restaurant is rated one of the top 10 in the country. This estate is a perfect location for a leisurely lunch, brunch or for dinner. Declared a national monument, beautiful Steenberg Estate is home to fine dining, luxurious Constantia hotel, and an 18-hole championship golf course. Wines from this vineyard have received international awards and recognition; the estate is a rewarding visit for its beautiful setting and scenic surroundings.
Why Book Constantia Accommodation?
Whether you come for the wine estates, tranquillity or greenery, accommodation in Constantia offers an excellent choice for those wanting to be a little bit out of the CBD without being far out in the country. Constantia has the feel of an elegant country village, with large farms and properties set on beautiful established gardens. It is not too far from equally lovely destinations, including Hout Bay and Newlands. With a number of things to see and do in the area, and even more to enjoy nearby, this location has plenty to offer its visitors.
Some of the top reasons to book your Constantia accommodation include the following:
- Diverse accommodation. You may not find as many apartments here, but you will certainly find a good selection of Constantia villas, holiday homes and even hotels. There are also charming cottages that date back to the early years, and contemporary homes that have a more modern touch. Many of our properties in this area are set on beautiful gardens, with lawns, swimming pools and plenty of trees to be found. What makes the accommodation here so diverse is that it doesn’t only offer you a good variety of options – it also caters to all budgets. This means that you will have no trouble finding the perfect place to stay that ticks all your boxes, without breaking the bank.
- Wining and dining. As you would expect from a prime wine growing region, Constantia excels when it comes to wining and dining. We briefly mentioned some of the top restaurants above. Buitenverwachting, Steenberg and Uitsig are all worthwhile places to visit. Restaurants such as La Colombe are also highly recommended. Other restaurants worth noting include the breath-taking Cellars-Hohenort, which lies on a magical garden; Peddlars on the Bend, which is found on Spaanschemat River Road; Simons at Groot Constantia; Tashas at Constantia Village; Pastis Brasserie and Carne Constantia on Constantia Main Road; Chardonnay Deli on Alphen Road; and Foxcroft at High Constantia. For those wanting to explore further, there are a number of restaurants in Hout Bay, which is accessed via a beautiful road. Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens in nearby Newlands has a few dining options, while the City Centre, Waterfront and Camps Bay are also worth exploring.
- Shopping. The Constantia Village shopping centre lies on Spaanschemat River Road. This centre is home to a number of high-end boutiques, homeware stores, perfumeries, book stores and facilities, along with a Pick ‘n Pay supermarket, bottle store and various restaurants and cafes. The centre also houses banks and other utilities. Other shopping options can be found in Claremont, about 15 minutes or less away; the City Centre, less than half an hour away; and the V&A Waterfront, also a short drive away. There are often markets held here, including the Alphen Collectables Fair, Constantia Gift Fair and Waldorf School fairs. Markets are also held nearby at Kirstenbosch during the summer season.
- Entertainment. Constantia is not really the type of place for clubbing and such, but that doesn’t mean you risk any boredom. There are cinemas at the nearby Blue Route Mall in Tokai, about 10 minutes away. There are also often bands and live entertainment at venues such as Peddlars. If you’re in the need for further entertainment during your stay, you will find pubs in Hout Bay, Theatre on the Bay in Camps Bay, the Cape Town Comedy Club in the Waterfront and a diversity of clubs and bars on trendy Long Street in the City Centre. GrandWest Casino is about half an hour or so away in Goodwood.
- Romance ready. With its abundant forests and huge trees, Constantia accommodation was made for romance. This area is the perfect choice for couples who want to be outside of the hustle and bustle of the CBD without losing out on opportunities to explore. You will be able to enjoy fine wines and food, hikes, shopping, nature and leisure throughout your honeymoon or romantic break.
- Family-friendly. Many of our chosen accommodation in Constantia is ideal for families. Look for our spacious villas and Constantia holiday homes that easily cater to larger groups. Many have gardens with ample space as well as swimming pools. In the area, there are top attractions for the whole family to enjoy. Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Cecilia Forest, horse riding stables, walking trails, Hout Bay attractions such as Clay Café and World of Birds, plus further landmarks such as the V&A Waterfront and the beaches of Camps Bay and Clifton are all in easy reach.
Browse Our Featured Constantia Accommodation
Now that you know a little more about what to expect when visiting this area, we’re here to help you find the perfect place to stay. ComeToCapeTown.com offers an excellent selection of holiday apartments, villas, guest houses, and self catering properties in Constantia. Whatever your needs may be, you are sure to find what you are looking for. Our Curated Collection showcases the very best of the best, featuring some of our most sought-after accommodation.
To get started, view our featured accommodation in Constantia below. From there, you can make an enquiry to check availability, and secure your booking. Got any questions about finding Constantia accommodation? Contact the ComeToCapeTown.com team right now for assistance!