If you’re looking for centrally located choices, City Bowl accommodation is ideal. Taking its name from its bowl-like shape caused by the curve of Table Mountain, Devil’s Peak, Signal Hill and Lion’s Head, the City Bowl incorporates Vredehoek, Devil’s Peak, Gardens, Oranjezicht, the City Centre, De Waterkant, Tamboerskloof, Foreshore, Higgovale, and the Bo Kaap. The mountain gently hugs the area, creating a sheltered urban hub that forms the very heart of South Africa’s Mother City.
The City Bowl is home to some of the city’s top attractions. These range from trendy hotspots such as Bree and Long Street, all the way to the South African National Museum and Company’s Garden, Greenmarket Square, the Cape Malay Quarter and many others. Restaurants, bars and cafes abound here, while shopping is equally excellent. Whether travelling for work or holiday, ComeToCapeTown.com offers a wide range of City Bowl accommodation that caters to all budgets, preferences and requirements.
Why Book City Bowl Accommodation?
If you’re looking for somewhere that is central, vibrant and full of things to see and do, this area is a top choice. Despite being in the midst of the city, this part of Cape Town is relaxed and easy-going. As much as locals like to joke about the hipster population, the people who call this area home are a diverse bunch of all ages, nationalities, races and cultures. Whether you are enjoying craft beer on Long Street or heading into the CBD, you are sure to find this area fascinating.
Some of the top reasons to book your City Bowl accommodation include the following:
- Diverse accommodation. Accommodation in City Bowl varies from modern apartments with a lock-up-and-go convenience, to trend lofts, restored cottages and contemporary villas. Depending on your budget and preferences, you could easily find a variety of compact studio and one bedroom City Bowl apartments that put you in easy reach of restaurants, cafes, shops and attractions. You will also find plenty of guest houses, cottages, holiday homes, hotels, villas and self-catering accommodation in City Bowl. This diversity ensures that you will never battle to find somewhere to stay for your upcoming travels in this part of the city.
- Wining and dining. Home to some of the area’s most popular restaurants and bars, you will not have too much trouble finding somewhere to enjoy a meal and a cocktail. Long Street is full of eateries and bars, as well as pavement cafes that are open throughout the day and well into the evening. Kloof Street is also excellent for wining and dining, with much-loved institutions such as Asoka to be found here. If you’re in the mood for something different, you will find Honest Chocolate Café in the City Centre and a number of specialist restaurants ranging from vegetarian to Indian, Ethiopian and African. Depending on your mood, this means that every single day and night presents a new dining experience to savour.
- Shopping. There are a few shopping centres in the area. The largest of them is most likely Gardens Shopping Centre, which is found off Buitenkant Street. This mall is home to a few restaurants, chain stores, specialist stores, food stores and facilities. There is a small mall on Kloof Street called Lifestyles on Kloof. In De Waterkant, there is a lovely mall called The Cape Quarter. This mall is home to some shops, restaurants and cafes. On the rooftop, there is even a swimming pool. Long Street is where you will find plenty of interesting stores, from the African Music Store to vintage shops, book stores and quirky décor stores. Kloof Street has a number of upmarket stores, including high-end décor stores such as Klooftique.
- Entertainment. A much-loved institution on Orange Street is The Labia – a small, intimate cinema that screens art house and other movies. The theatre has an old-fashioned bar in its foyer. You can take your drinks into the show. Other highlights include night clubs such as Waiting Room, various karaoke spots, the Thursday evening Hope Street Market, The Rockwell Dinner Theatre, the Artscape Theatre Complex on the Foreshore, Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC, which regularly hosts conferences, events and productions), the Crypt Jazz Restaurant, the Grand Daddy Hotel’s Pink Flamingo Cinema, Marco’s African Place, Mama Africa, and Cape City Hall – the home of the Cape Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO). Casinos such as GrandWest are less than 20 minutes away, while the V&A Waterfront is also around the corner.
- Romance ready. Due to its diversity of scenery, people and cultures, City Bowl accommodation caters to the needs of just about every type of traveller. For those visiting on honeymoon or romantic break, this area is ideal. Many suburbs within the City Bowl are quiet residential areas. Gardens, Oranjezicht, Higgovale and Tamboerskloof are leafy, peaceful neighbourhoods that offer larger homes and villas as well as apartments. The Bo Kaap offers colourful local flavour and plenty of history amidst its brightly hued cottages, while De Waterkant has a tranquil village feel. Even if you choose the CBD, you are sure to find a huge variety of luxury apartments that offer the perfect place to enjoy your special break.
- Family-friendly. The City Bowl is equally excellent for families, as well as couples. Many accommodation in the residential suburbs include established homes with gardens and swimming pools. With so much for the whole family to see and do, kids of all ages will enjoy this part of the city. Nearby family-friendly attractions include the SA National Museum, Company Gardens and planetarium, Springbok Rugby Museum, Two Oceans Aquarium, Scratch Patch, De Waal Park, Deer Park, Table Mountain Cable Station and plenty more besides.
Browse Our Featured City Bowl Accommodation
Now that you know a little more about what to expect when visiting this area, we’re here to help you find the perfect place to stay. ComeToCapeTown.com offers an excellent selection of villas, apartments and holiday houses in City Bowl. Whatever your needs may be, you are sure to find what you are looking for. Our Curated Collection showcases the very best of the best, featuring some of our most sought-after accommodation.
To get started, view our featured accommodation in City Bowl below. From there, you can make an enquiry to check availability, and secure your booking. Got any questions about finding City Bowl accommodation? Contact the ComeToCapeTown.com team right now for assistance!