With a bit of a nip in the air right now, and all signs of winter in the not-too-distant future, April events in Cape Town show us that maybe this month will be quite a good one after all.
Of course, every month is great in Cape Town (we all know that at least). There’s something special about the cooler months though. Maybe it’s just me, but it always seems like the Mother City gets to showcase all of her other highlights beyond sunshine and beaches.
Whether you agree with me or not, let’s take a look at what’s going on in Cape Town this month and decide for ourselves, shall we?
What’s Happening in Cape Town this April?
Not even taking into account the variety of things happening on 26th of April alone – no really, the events listed are only a fraction of what seems to be happening that day – there are loads of cool events taking place in Cape Town for the rest of April too.
Showing just how much us South Africans love our 80s music, we have not one but two old skool musical stars coming to our city. Including one of my all-time favourite bands from my teen years: Metallica! We also have ice hockey (yes, we have that here, apparently), sandcastles (see – we can still enjoy beaches in autumn), opera, comedy… and a lot of food festivals.
Here are some of the highlights for Cape Town April 2013 events…
- Otello @ The Artscape Opera House, Foreshore – 6 – 14 April
- Taste of Cape Town, City Centre – 11 – 14 April
- Andre the Hilarious Hypnotist @ Grand West, Goodwood – 12 April – 4 May
- Hout Bay Sandcastle Competition, Hout Bay – 13 April
- aKING Live @ Brass Bell, Kalk Bay – 14 April
- Ice Hockey World Championships @ The Ice Station, Goodwood – 15 – 21 April
- Bien Donné Agri Cape Week, Paarl – 17 – 21 April
- Lucia di Lammermoor @ The Artscape Opera House, Foreshore – 18 April
- Michael McIntyre @ Grand West Arena, Goodwood – 19 April
- Constantia Food and Wine Festival, Constantia – 19 – 22 April
- CT Tango Ensemble @ The Baxter, Rondebosch – 20 April
- Kirstenbosch Garden Fair & Plant Sale, 20 – 22 April
- Langebaan Lagoon Celebration, West Coast – 22 – 22 April
- Metallica Live @ Bellville Velodrome, Bellville – 24 April
- Decorex Cape Town, City Centre – 25 – 29 April
- Jennifer Rush Live @ CTICC, City Centre – 26 April
- Charity Golf Day at Rondebosch Golf Course, Rondebosch – 26 April
- Space Ibiza on Tour @ Shimmy Beach Club, V&A Harbour Waterfront – 26 April
- Prince Albert Town and Olive Festival, Prince Albert – 26 – 28 April
- SA Cheese Festival, Stellenbosch – 26 – 29 April
- The Wedding Affair at Rickety Bridge, Franschhoek – 27 – 29 April
- Ladismith Eko-Fees, Ladismith – 27 April (tbc)
- Seafood Festival, Franschhoek – 30 April
As you can see, these events should keep us all quite busy for the remainder of the month. If you have a chance to catch Andre the Hilarious Hypnotist, you may want to take my advice – sitting in the front centre rows will get you noticed a lot more quickly. But don’t worry… it’s all in good fun, and you won’t be made to cluck like a chicken.
However you plan to enjoy this month, remember to stay safe when driving on the roads – hire a taxi if you’re going to be indulging in a few drinks. Otherwise, have fun, and let us know what you get up to by giving us a shout on Twitter (@cometocapetown) or Facebook (facebook.com/cometocapetown).
Have I missed anything super awesome that’s happening in April? Let me know what else is happening by dropping a comment below.