If you’re looking for a way to celebrate spring in Cape Town, the Darling Wildflower Show 2016 is well worth a visit. Taking place from 16 to 18 September 2016, the show is in its 99th year this year. The theme for this year is ‘The Weather & The Wildflowers’. This theme will be demonstrating the impact that weather conditions have on the flowers, particularly in the Western Cape and Darling area.
In addition to the flowers, which, of course, are the main attraction, the show will also offer a host of activities for all ages, from a food market to old car and tractor display, live music, kids’ playpark, wine tasting and plenty more besides. Let’s take a closer look to see what the Darling Wildflower Show in Cape Town is all about…
What to Expect at the 99th Annual Darling Wildflower Show
First up, here are some quick details on this event:
Dates: 16, 17 and 18 September 2016
Times: Friday and Saturday: 09h00 – 17h00, Sunday: 09h00 – 15h00
Venue: Darling Golf Club, Jacaranda Street, Darling
Tickets: R30-R50 (available via Quicket.co.za and at the gate)
More Info: email@example.com / www.DarlingWildflowers.co.za
Highlights include the Landscaped Hall, which showcases flowers of the area, a free tractor wagon ride to the wetland at Oude Post (this area is not usually accessible to the public and can only be visited during the show), the Craft & Gourmet Food Market, tractor and car display, Entertainment Tent with live music from local bands such as Klassik, safe parking, a kids’ playpark area with face-painting and rides, an adult-only Mini Wine Route & Beer Tent and shuttles taking visitors to various places of interest in Darling. Proceeds from the event go towards conserving the region’s endangered floral kingdom, so it’s all for a good cause, too.
Cape Wildflower Viewing Tips
The Darling Wildflower Society has some great tips on viewing wildflowers in the Cape. Here are some suggestions to keep in mind to get the most out of your flower viewing excursions:
– The best time to view flowers is between 10h00 and 16h00, during the warmest part of the day. This is when the flowers will be fully opened.
– The ideal temperature for flowers is at least 18 degrees Celsius, on a sunny, clear day. As flowers need the sun to open, they may not be quite as spectacular on an overcast or cool day.
– The flowers always turn toward the sun, so they will look their best when the sun is behind you. This means that it is best to move in a southerly direction when doing your flower viewing.
– When getting out of your car to walk among the flowers, be careful not to trample any plants. Picking flowers is not permitted, as this can disrupt the precious balance of the floral ecosystem. Enjoy the flowers without touching them.
– Some areas do not have great cellphone reception – especially out in the remote countryside. It’s also a good idea to get fuel for your car before leaving for the West Coast, as there are not always gas stations to be found in the remote areas.
– Wear long trousers and don’t forget the insect repellent!
– Bring plenty of water so that you stay hydrated.
Whether you take a drive to visit the Darling Wildflower Show 2016 or you go and see the flowers in other parts of the peninsula, make sure that you head out this spring to take in the wonder that is flower season in Cape Town.