The bronze leopard was sculptured by Ivan Milford-Barberton. Completed in 1963, it was placed on its pedestal on 14th March that year by the Divisional Council. Pepsi-Cola supported the project and donated the bronze. The sculpture is a memorial to the many wild animals that once roamed the mountains of the peninsula. The last leopard seen in Hout Bay was in 1937 on Little Lion’s Head.