Wondering where and when to do your Christmas shopping in Cape Town this festive season? We have put together a mega list of festive markets, as well as trading hours for some of the city’s top shopping centres and malls.
If you are anything like me, you will be using the next week or so to frantically seek out gifts for various friends, family and loved ones. We all know how stressful shopping can be – especially when it gets busy!
Our list of markets offers a wide variety of ideas for unique craft gifts, which can be purchased in a non-mall environment for those who want to avoid crowds and festive mayhem.
For those who prefer their shopping inside a cool air-conditioned mall however, you can plan your shopping with the help of our list of trading hours over the holidays.
Cape Town Christmas Markets 2014
Christmas markets in Cape Town that are are taking place over the entire city and its surrounds include the following:
5-21 December: Edgemead Christmas Market. 10h00-20h00 @ Edgemead Drive Community Hall, Edgemead.
8-21 December: Pinelands Craft & Gift Fair. 10hoo-20h00 @ Pinelands High School, Pinelands.
8-23 December. Simply South Gift and Craft Fair. 10h00-20h00 weekdays and 10h00-17h00 Saturdays @ NG Kerk Constantia, Bergvliet.
9-21 December: Cape Gift Market. 09hoo-19h00 weekdays and 09h00-17h00 weekends @ Sea Point City Hall, Sea Point.
13-22 December: Cape Gate All-Star Christmas Market. 10hoo-21h00 @ Cape Gate Lifestyle Centre, Brackenfell.
14-24 December: Plumstead Rusoord Christmas Lights Festival and Night Market. 18h30-22h30 @ Plumstead Rusoord, 1 Birmingham Road, Plumstead.
16-20 December: Blaauwklippen Twilight Christmas Market. 17h00-22h00 @ Blaauwklippen Estate, Stellenbosch.
16-23 December: Eden on the Bay Outdoor Christmas Market. 10h00-20h00 @ Eden on the Bay Mall, Bloubergstrand.
18 & 19 December: Root 44 Special Christmas Evening Market. 16h00-21h00 @ Audacia Wines, R44, Stellenbosch.
20 December: Just Nuisance Christmas Market. 09h00-15h00 @ Simonstown Town Hall, Simonstown.
20 December: Alive Muizenberg Christmas Market. 09h00-14h00 @ Alive Cafe, 11 Atlantic Road, Muizenberg.
20 & 21 December: Bay Harbour Kids Thingz Market . 09h30-16h00 @ 31 Harbour Road, Hout Bay.
20 & 21 December: Root 44 Special Christmas Weekend Day Market. 10hoo-16h00 @ Audacia Wines, R44, Stellenbosch.
20-30 December: Cape Town Summer Market. 16h00-23h00 daily (closed Christmas Day) @ VOC Company Gardens, City Centre.
21 December: Kirstenbosch Craft Market. 09h00-15h00 @ Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Newlands.
23 December: Willowbridge Christmas Night & Day Slow Market. 10h00-19h00 @ 39 Carl Cronje Drive, Tygervalley.
Cape Town Festive Shopping Hours
Stay up to date with these Christmas shopping hours for Cape Town malls and shopping centres:
– Canal Walk Shopping Centre – Century City, Milnerton. Open from 09h00 until 21hoo daily. Some shops, restaurants and facilities may be closed on Christmas Day however.
– Cape Quarter – Somerset Road, De Waterkant. Open Monday – Friday 09h00 to 18h00, Saturday 09h00-16h00 and Sunday 10h00-16h00. To find out which stores are open on Christmas Day, contact +27 (0)21 421 1111.
– Cavendish Square – Dreyer Street, Claremont. Open from 09h00-19h00 Monday to Saturday, 10h00-17h00 Sunday. Extended shopping hours: 10-23 December 2014: 09h00-21h00; 24, 26 & 31 December 2014: 09h00-19h00 and 25 December as well as 1 January: optional trading.
– Gardens Centre – Cnr Mill and Buitenkant Streets, Gardens. Open 09h00-19h00 Monday to Friday, 09h00-17h00 Saturdays and 09h00-14h00 Sundays. Festive trading hours: 24 December 2014: 09h00-17h00; 31 December 2014: 09h00-17h00 and 25 and 26 December 2014 plus 1 January 2015: optional trading.
– Tyger Valley Centre – Corner of Bill Bezuidenhout and Willie van Schoor, Bellville. Open from 09h00 to 19h00 Monday to Saturday and 09h00 to 17h00 Sunday. Festive trading hours: 10-23 December 2014: 09h00-21h00; 24 & 26 December 2014: 09h00-17h00 and 25 December 20014 & 1 January 2015: optional trading.
– V&A Waterfront – Dock Road, Waterfront. Open daily from 09h00 until 21h00. Extended hours are offered from Wednesday 10 to Wednesday 24 December, with shops staying open until 22h00.
And there you have it, darlings… all the information and tips you could ever want to survive Christmas shopping in Cape Town. Have anything to add to our list? Share your ideas and suggestions below!