From diamond tours to chocolate tasting, magic schools, swimming with sharks or even flying trapeze, there are many unique things to do in Cape Town that you won’t find in the guide books. Whether you are seeking a new thrill or even a new skill, the city offers something to suit every taste and level of adventure. If you’re looking for something different to do on your holidays, these ideas should offer some inspiration.
One of the many great things about Cape Town is that there are loads of ‘off the beaten path’ type of things to do. Once you’ve climbed Table Mountain, toured the Wine Route, done a city tour or two and checked off all the other must-try boxes on your list, it’s time to move on to the rare, unusual or just plain epic activities to try on your trip to Cape Town that are guaranteed to make your holiday one you will never forget.
5 Absolutely Must-Do Things to do in Cape Town Before Your Holiday Ends
Get the lowdown from a local’s perspective on the very best, most interesting things to do in the Mother City before your holiday comes to an end.
- Diamond Tours – for anyone who loves a bit of bling, or even those curious as to how diamonds are cut so perfectly, a Shimansky tour is not to be missed. Situated in the Clock Tower section of the V&A Waterfront, this fine jeweller offers tours of their workshop. Here you will learn about the fine art of diamond cutting and jewellery making, with the chance to see a huge range of sparkling gems in all of their various phases.
- Chocolate Tasting – why settle for wine when you can have wine and chocolate? Chocolate tasting in Cape Town is sure to satisfy any chocoholic’s craving for the good stuff, with a range of options to choose from. Waterford Wine Estate in Stellenbosch offers chocolate pairing with their fine wines, while KWV offers brandy and chocolate pairing. On Kloof Nek Road in the City Bowl, Torino Chocolate is also well worth a visit.
- Magic School – The School of Magic in Kenilworth may not exactly be Hogwarts, but it is the next best thing. Adult classes and kids classes are offered over a six week course, where magic pupils will learn all sorts of cool card, coin and rabbit out of hat tricks. We think Harry Potter may just approve, even without the potions and spells!
- Shark Diving – you’ve heard all about the famous Great white sharks of Cape Town, but what about the Blue and Mako sharks of the pelagic waters? Or even the ancient-looking Cow sharks? Whether you have a scuba qualification or you are prepared to do a dive on snorkel, diving with these sharks without a cage is without a doubt one of the most adventurous activities to try in Cape Town! Shark Explorers offers a range of shark encounters and expeditions throughout the year, with April being ideal for visibility and conditions.
- Flying Trapeze – if you’re looking for more active pursuits in the city, flying trapeze with a real life circus is sure to be a good workout. The South African National Circus School is based in Observatory, and is every bit as thrilling as the Cirque du Soleil. It may take a while before you get the hang of things (no pun intended), but you are sure to love every minute you spend flying through the air.
Have you done any exciting things in the Mother City? Drop us a message on our Facebook wall to discuss your favourite things to do in Cape Town!