Winelands accommodation brings to mind old-fashioned charm, endless rows of vineyards and all the wine tastings you could even dream of enjoying. In this case, your imagination is just as good as the real thing – this is an area for good wine, good food and good times. Comprising the wine growing towns of Stellenbosch, Paarl and Franschhoek, the Cape Winelands is one of the oldest travel routes in the peninsula. These towns today have retained all of their former charm, which is seen in the architecture as well as the pace of life. Whether you stay overnight or opt for a longer holiday, any time spent in this part of the world is sure to leave you feeling relaxed, refreshed and rejuvenated.
In 1952, the Dutch East India Company (VOC) began their mission of creating a waystation for ships passing through. Early leader Jan van Riebeeck soon saw a potential for grape growing in the rich fertile soils found further inland. Vines were imported from France, Spain and Rhineland in 1955, planted first in the Company’s Garden and van Riebeeck’s farm in the southern suburbs. The very first pressing of the grape was in 1659. Van Riebeeck’s success with wine making was noted, leading others in the Company to try their hand at wine. The second Governor of the Cape, Simon Van der Stel, was an experienced wine maker. After taking over the industry in 1679, he began to develop the area now known as the Cape Winelands. Stellenbosch was named after him. In 1688, French Huguenots, fleeing from persecution in their homeland, established Franschhoek. Over the next three centuries, the Cape Winelands would emerge as a truly unique destination that is rich in natural and cultural heritage.
Why Book Winelands Accommodation?
If you are looking for an accommodation option that is out of the City Centre, while still offering a great variety of things to see and do, accommodation in Winelands is sure to do the trick. All three of the Winelands towns have something to offer. Stellenbosch has a vibrant nightlife befitting of a university town. Franschhoek has a unique French flair. Paarl has some fascinating landmarks that are sure to be an interesting highlight on your trip. Whatever your travel requirements and budget might be, you are sure to find the perfect Winelands accommodation.
Some of the top reasons to book your Winelands accommodation include the following:
- Diverse accommodation. The most common type of accommodation in this region includes Winelands self catering, as well as catered options such as hotels and semi catered options such as guest houses. Many properties are restored buildings that have been lovingly maintained and updated. For those wanting to experience the perfect balance of old world charm and modern luxury, our villas and cottages are a must-see. Many properties have established gardens, with beautiful features that range from wooden floors to high ceilings and original fittings.
- Wining and dining. It goes without saying that the Cape Winelands is a food lover’s dream. Whichever part of the area you choose to stay, you can be sure of a spectacular dining experience. Most of the wine estates are found in Stellenbosch, with many offering restaurants as well as cellar tours, and tastings. Franschhoek is famous for its haute cuisine, with many excellent restaurants found here. Every year, festivals such as Franschhoek’s Bastille Day Festival take place, with food and wine taking centre stage. With so many wine varietals on offer here, from white to red and sparkling MCC, you will never be short of ideas on where to wine and dine. There are also cheese and olive farms to explore, with fresh organic produce produced to the highest quality. If you feel like heading out into the Cape Town CBD, you will enjoy a scenic drive as well as wide variety of dining options across the city.
- Shopping. Stellenbosch is home to a charming Main Street, which is dotted with interesting shops, galleries and other places of interest. If you are searching for rare finds such as antiques and hand-made goods, this is a good choice. The closest shopping centre is Somerset Mall, which lies in Somerset West, just before Stellenbosch. This mall is home to a huge variety of stores, from clothing to homeware, books, electronics, gifts and more. Many local markets are held in all three of the Winelands towns, especially over the festive season.
- Entertainment. Although you will not find any loud clubs or over the top entertainment venues, Stellenbosch has a fairly busy nightlife. There are a number of local pubs and bars that cater to the student crowd and locals. Dorp Street is where a lot of these venues are found. In Franschhoek, food and wine festivals are the order of the day, along with annual cultural events such as the Franschhoek Literary Festival that is held in April each year. Next door in Paarl, there is a polo estate found at Val de Vie, which regularly hosts matches that attract the city’s elite. Between wining and dining, local haunts and sporting events, you will not be bored when staying at Winelands accommodation.
- Romance ready. Peaceful cottages and holiday homes, scenic gardens, quiet streets flanked by picturesque monuments and houses, endless stretches of vineyard, rolling hills and vast valleys… it goes without saying that the Winelands are beautiful. What better place to enjoy a romantic break? Choose from our selection of accommodation in Winelands to find luxurious hideaways that are perfect for romance.
- Family-friendly. It’s not just couples who will have plenty to see and do here. Families are also catered to in this part of the world. With many properties being spacious venues that have gardens and pools, groups of all sizes will love this area. For kids, major attractions in the area include Butterfly World, Jonkershoek Nature Reserve, Franschhoek Motor Museum, Fairview Cheese and Wine, Vergenoegd duck parade, segway tours at Spier, farm and kids activities at Blaauwklippen, and many, many others besides.
Browse Our Featured Winelands Accommodation
Now that you know a little more about what to expect when visiting this area, we’re here to help you find the perfect place to stay. ComeToCapeTown.com offers an excellent selection of holiday apartments, villas, guest houses, and self catering properties in Winelands. Whatever your needs may be, you are sure to find what you are looking for. Our Curated Collection showcases the very best of the best, featuring some of our most sought-after accommodation.
To get started, view our featured accommodation in Winelands below. From there, you can make an enquiry to check availability, and secure your booking. Got any questions about finding Winelands accommodation? Contact the ComeToCapeTown.com team right now for assistance!