41 Misty Cliffs
I first discovered the coastal area of Misty Cliffs nine years ago while training for the Cape Town Cycle Tour. Fortified by a lunch stop in the soporific village of Scarborough, we continued along the coast road. My first sight of the misty cliffs is a moment that remains fresh in my mind’s eye – through some meteorological magic I won’t attempt to explain, the cool sea air hits the shores to create a nebulous haze that transforms an already beautiful coastline into something quite otherworldly. It was therefore with joy in my heart that I packed for a Mother’s Day weekend with my daughter, some dear old friends and Kitty the dog at a beach house in this favourite spot, situated on the Cape Peninsula just an hour from Cape Town. And how the joy expanded on reaching that house – 41 Misty Cliffs is a thoughtfully designed, contemporary, right-on-the-beach home, and it’s the perfect place to replenish your soul with nature’s beauty.
The high-ceilinged open-plan living space opens onto a huge wooden deck facing the sea, where the gently rolling waves provide a most relaxing soundscape. The house decor features lots of white and natural tones lifted with flashes of colour in the delightfully retro pieces. There are deep, comfy sofas in both the living room and on the deck – so comfy I felt compelled to train the teenagers in the art of producing a perfectly milky Nespresso so their mother and I could recline for hours, ordering coffees and giggling about our misspent youth.
Rather fortuitously her husband is a foodie who took great delight in the well-equipped kitchen complete with ocean-hued Le Creuset cookware. We mercilessly milked the Mother’s Day angle, leaving him to produce breakfast, lunch and dinner, with the kids on clean-up duty. I am ashamed to admit that our plans to hike at Cape Point, lunch at Kalk Bay’s fabulous Harbour House and potter around the art and antiques stores in Simon’s Town came to nought. Except for three glorious long beach walks with Kitty in his element, we didn’t leave the house. But when the house is as gorgeous as this one, why would you?
What we love!
- Viewing the incredible seascape and hearing waves breaking from every room, magnificent sunsets, gazing at the Milky Way each night.
- Outdoor living – our days were spent on the balcony or on the beach.
- If we could surf we’d have taken full advantage of waking up on a superb surf beach; since we don’t, we LOVED watching the surfers (especially their warm-up exercises!).
- Within half an hour’s drive is Cape Point, the quirky shops and great restaurants of Simon’s Town and Kalk Bay, including my personal favourites Harbour House and the simpler Live Bait housed underneath it.
- Keeping cosy in the cooler evenings – the wood-burning stove heats the house up nicely, there is underfloor heating in the master bedroom, heaters in the other two bedrooms, plus thick duvets and fleecy blankets aplenty.
What you need to know…
- When popping to the beach be sure to close all doors – there are some cheeky, fruit-thieving baboons about.
- The steps to the beach are rather steep – may be tricky for both tiny tots and their grandparents
- 3 x Bathrooms, 3 x Bedrooms (king)
- BBQ (Built in)
- Beach towels
- Beach umbrella
- Freezer, Fridge,
- Nespresso machine (please bring your own pods)
- No DVD, No TV
- Oven (Electric)
- Pets (allowed)
- Servicing (additional cost)
- Stove (Gas)
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
Thank you for considering 41 Misty Cliffs for your stay in Cape Town. Book with Us for the lowest rates available online, guaranteed!